- Smoke alarms save lives. Ensure there is a working smoke alarm fitted on each level of your home. Test the batteries regularly.
- Avoid overloading electrical sockets.
- Always use a fireguard in front of an open fire.
- Never smoke in bed or when tired.
- Keep ashtrays empty when not in use.
- Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
- Never a leave a chip pan or frying pan unattended.
- Make sure to have a suitable fire extinguisher and fire blanket in your kitchen.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Have your chimney cleaned at least once a year.
- Close all doors at night time.
In the event of Fire
- Get everyone out of the house as quickly as possible and Stay Out.
- Call the Fire Brigade on 999 or 112 immediately.
- Alert your neighbours.
- Contact Steer as soon as possible