Preventing Burst and Frozen Pipes
- Find out where the main stop cock is and how to turn it off. It is usually located under the kitchen sink.
- Make sure pipes and tanks are properly insulated, especially pipes in exposed or draughty areas.
- Keep your home as warm as possible even if it is left empty during the day.
- Repair dripping taps.
- If you are planning to go away during the winter months, ask someone to look after your house or consider leaving the heating on for a short period every day.
In the event of a burst pipe
- Turn off the water supply
- Turn on all the taps to drain water from the system.
- Turn off the central heating and the immersion heater.
- If the leak is close to electric appliances or plugs turn off the electricity supply at the mains.
- Try to soak up the water with towels.
- Contact Steer as soon as possible.